2014-15 Hyundai A-League – Round 5 Recap

Share on Facebook0Tweet about this on TwitterShare on Google+0Share on Reddit0
A-League Rd 5 - Brisbane v Melbourne

The Asian champions are without a win while the wheels are falling off at reigning champions . Meanwhile at the top of the table, Perth returned to the summit after registering their first ever regular season win in Gosford.

Wellington Phoenix 1-0
(Burns 79’)
Crowd: 7008 @ Westpac Stadium
They may be Asian champions, yet Western Sydney remain without a win after four matches after succumbing to a late Nathan Burns strike in the New Zealand capital. With the Asian Cup on the horizon, Burns is making sure he puts his name right in the mix for a call up with another goal making it four in five matches. Ante Covic, the hero for Western Sydney in Riyadh, came to his side’s rescue again, saving Michael McGlinchey’s penalty that would have made it 2-0, however it wasn’t enough as Wellington made it four games without a loss

Adelaide United 0-0 Sydney FC
Crowd: 16,105 @ Hindmarsh Stadium
Both teams will look back at this game and think it was two points lost. At home Adelaide controlled the majority of the match and were it not for the woodwork would’ve taken a first half lead through Sergio Cirio. In the second half Sydney had the ball in the back of the net after a quickly taken free kick caught out the Adelaide defence. However referee Alan Milliner called play back, ruling that Sydney must wait for the whistle. In the last minute of injury time Adelaide looked certain to score a winner, but Marcelo Carrusca fluffed his chance.

Newcastle Jets 2-2 Melbourne Victory
(Jaliens 31’, Griffiths (P) 33’ / Ben Khalfallah 36’, Berisha 48’)
Crowd: 11,884 @ Hunter Stadium
After a month on the road thanks to turf replacement works at Hunter Stadium, Newcastle was looking for their first win of the season against top-of-the-table Melbourne Victory. They couldn’t have asked for a better start after two goals in three minutes put them 2-0 ahead just after the half hour mark. Tunisian international Fahid Ben Khalfallah continued his bright start to the season just three minutes later, however, to give Victory hope and just after the interval Besart Berisha, returning from injury, got on the end of Ben Khalfallah’s inch perfect pass to level the scores.

Brisbane Roar 1-3 Melbourne City
(Borrello 67’ / Williams 8’, Dugandzic 10’, Marino 83’)
Crowd: 17,131 @ Suncorp Stadium
Both sides were looking for the first win of the campaign and with David Villa gone Melbourne City played with a new found freedom and shot to a quick 2-0 lead thanks to goals from David Williams and Mate Dugandzic. Brisbane, somewhat fortuitously, pulled one back after Brandon Borrello deflected in midway through the second half. But a first ever goal to youngster Marc Marino finished off the defending champions and saw City capture their first win of the season and first in their new guise. Tempers boiled over after the match between Roar teammates, defender Shane Stefanutto and goalkeeper Jamie Young, suggesting all is not well in the Roar camp.

Central Coast 0-1
(Marinkovic 42’)
Crowd: 6399 @ Central Coast Stadium
With the three teams above them only managing a draw Perth Glory had the chance to take top spot, but to do so needed to do one thing they’d not managed in the previous nine seasons (excluding finals) of the A-League…win in Gosford. That looked in doubt early on as Central Coast started brightly, but a simply superb free kick from Nebojsa Marinkovic just before half time gave the Glory the advantage. Both sides had their chances in the second half, but neither could find the back of the net as Glory took all three points and returned to the top spot on the table.