2014-15 Hyundai A-League – Round 8 Recap

Share on Facebook0Tweet about this on TwitterShare on Google+0Share on Reddit0
A-League Rd 8 - Western Sydney v Sydney

Australian sport suffered unspeakable tragedy this week when Australian cricketer Phillip Hughes tragically passed away. The  paused to honour his life before and during each game, and those on the field did their best to remind us exactly why we love sport, and football, with some simply scintillating action.

Melbourne Victory 3-2 Adelaide United
(Boogaard (OG) 7’, Cirio (OG) 16’, Broxham 32’ / Mabil 14’, Carrusca (pen) 37’)
Crowd: 22,334 @ AAMI Park

The two undefeated sides put on a simply pulsating first half of football. Melbourne Victory took an early lead after Nigel Boogaard headed the ball into his own net, but the lead didn’t last long after a blistering Adelaide counter attack ended in an Awer Mabil goal. Another own goal two minutes later restored Victory’s lead before Broxham headed them two clear. After having what looked like a good goal disallowed minutes earlier, Adelaide pulled one back when they were awarded a dubious penalty late in the half. While both teams had their chances, neither side added to their tally in the second half, meaning Victory are now eight without a loss while Adelaide suffered their first loss of the season.

Brisbane Roar 1-1 Perth Glory
(Henrique 85’ / Djulbic 20’)
Crowd: 13,043 @ Suncorp Stadium

With new coach Frans Thijssen in charge of his first game, Brisbane got off to a near-perfect start when Thomas Broich and then Henrique came close to opening the scoring inside the first five minutes. They were left to rue those chances, however, when Perth defender Dino Djulbic smashed home a beautiful volley from a corner. Just when it looked like Perth would hang on for another win, Brazilian Henrique struck to earn a point for the home side.

Western Sydney Wanderers 1-1 Sydney FC
(Juric 30’ / Ibini 34’)
Crowd: 19,138 @ Pirtek Stadium

No matter how hard they try, Western Sydney just cannot get the three points. Played in front of a pulsating, sold out crowd at Pirtek Stadium, Sydney coach Graham Arnold admitted after the game that Western Sydney had the better of it and they got the goal they deserved when Juric poked home on the half-hour mark. The lead didn’t last long though, as Bernie Ibini put in his claim for goal of the season with a stunning run and left foot strike from the edge of the box. Austrian striker Marc Janko came close to stealing all three points for Sydney when his free kick smashed into the cross bar late in the second half.

Wellington Phoenix 5-1 Melbourne City
(Burns 34’ 47’ 85’ (pen), Bonevacia 40’, Krishna 50’ / Williams (pen) 68’)
Crowd: 7410 @ Westpac Stadium

It goes from bad to worse for Melbourne City after they were annihilated by Wellington Phoenix. Nathan Burns, who has to be strongly in contention for ’s Asian Cup squad, was the star of the show registering the first ever hat trick by a Wellington player. Another to Roly Bonevacia and Fijian Roy Krishna rounded out the hammering as serious pressure now comes on to City coach John van’t Schip.

Newcastle Jets 1-1 Central Coast Mariners
(Montano 48’ / Vernes 55’)
Crowd: 11,031 @ Hunter Stadium

While it had the title of the F3 Derby, the action in the first half was nothing like standard Derby fare, with little to write home about for either side. Ecuadorian Edson Montano soon bought the crowd to life early in the second half to put his side ahead, but Central Coast hit back just minutes later when Hungarian Richard Vernes equalised, leaving the Jets still without a win after eight games.