2014-15 Hyundai A-League – Round 16 Recap

Share on Facebook0Tweet about this on TwitterShare on Google+0Share on Reddit0
A-League Rd 16 - Western Sydney v Wellington

Perth’s lead at the top of the table was cut after they fell 3-1 to in a spiteful encounter, while top four sides Adelaide United and Wellington Phoenix also dropped points, the latter against 2014 ACL champions Western Sydney who registered their first win of the campaign.

Newcastle Jets 1-2 Brisbane Roar
(Pavicevic 72’ / Solorzano 35’, Broich 90’+3)
Crowd: 6944 @ Hunter Stadium

There was no light at the end of the tunnel for Newcastle after a tumultuous week off the pitch for the Hunter side. The Newcastle public voted with their feet, with only 6,944 turning up and any optimism they had that their side could take all three points was dealt a blow when Costa Rican Jean Carlos Solorzano tapped home ten minutes before half time to give the visitors the lead. A goal to 19-year-old Radovan Pavicevic looked to have rescued a point for the Jets before they conceded a winner in the very last minute to Thomas Broich.

Central Coast Mariners 2-1 Adelaide United
(Fitzgerald 79’, Rose 83’ / Mabil 29’)
Crowd: 4508 @ Central Coast Stadium

A paltry 4,508 turned out on a beautiful summer’s day to cheer on the Mariners and the silence was even more deafening when young gun Awer Mabil fired home midway through the first half to give Adelaide the lead. After putting seven past Newcastle two weeks previous, most expected the title challengers to kick on and secure all three points, but two goals in four minutes late in the second half sealed a much needed win for the beleaguered Central Coast.

3-0 Melbourne City
(Berisha 10’, Barbarouses 53’, Ben Khalfallah 62’)
Crowd: 40,042 @ Etihad Stadium

After throwing away a 3-1 lead against Perth in their previous match, Victory were out to make amends against their cross-town rivals. They couldn’t have asked for a better start when New Zealand international Kosta Barbarouses skipped past Paddy Kisnorbo and cut the ball across the box for Besart Berisha to tap home. It was Barbarouses who doubled the lead early in the second half, with an exquisite finish from a set play to double the lead. Less than ten minutes later, Berisha turned provider for Tunisian Fahid Ben Khalfallah who rounded off a comfortable victory in front of over 40,000 fans.

1-3 Sydney FC
(Kramar 73’ / Janko (pen) 30’, Dimitrijevic (pen) 69’, Ibini 89’)
Crowd: 11,637 @ nib Stadium

Perth failed to take all three points at home for the second consecutive match after Sydney took full points despite being reduced to nine men for the final 20 minutes. Austrian Marc Janko converted from the spot to give Sydney the lead on the half hour mark, but the real flash point came five minutes later when Sydney’s new signing Jacques Faty and Dino Djulbic were involved in a scuffle, with the referee showing both players a straight red. Janko was dragged down in the box midway through the second half to earn another penalty, which was duly dispatched by Milos Dimitrijevic. The home side pulled one back with just over fifteen minutes to go, but a brilliant solo effort from Bernie Ibini just before full time secured the three points for Sydney FC.

2-0 Wellington Phoenix
(Rukavytsya 18’, Santalab 90’+1)
Crowd: 12,663 @ Sportingbet Stadium, Penrith

The Wanderers took their home game away from their Parramatta base, heading further west to Penrith in the foothills of the spectacular Blue Mountains, and the move paid dividends as they recorded their first win of the season. Nikita Rukavytsya finally broke his goal drought with a neat finish inside the opening 20 minutes. Wellington threatened but couldn’t find an equaliser, Roy Krishna wasting the best chance in the second half, allowing the Wanderers to run out 2-0 winners thanks to a stoppage time goal to Brendon Santalab.