2014-15 Hyundai A-League – Round 19 Recap

Share on Facebook0Tweet about this on TwitterShare on Google+0Share on Reddit0

As Perth’s form slump continued, neither Adelaide United nor Melbourne Victory could pounce to claim top spot. Meanwhile the Sydney Derby lived up to all the hype with another classic and another win for .

Melbourne City 3-1 Adelaide United
(Safuwan 52’, Kennedy 55’, Ramsay 87’ / Sanchez 32’)
Crowd: 7,345 @ AAMI Park

Adelaide missed the chance to go top of the table, temporarily at least, after blowing a 1-0 half time lead against Melbourne City. It was the visitors who opened the scoring through Pablo Sanchez just after the half hour mark, but two goals in three minutes early in the second half to Singaporean Safuwan Baharudin and Socceroo Josh Kennedy swung the game in City’s favour. They sealed all three points when David Williams won the ball back in midfield and played Massimo Murdocca into space in the box, cutting back for former Adelaide player Ian Ramsay to tap home.

Newcastle Jets 0-0 Central Coast Mariners
Crowd: 7,991 @ Hunter Stadium

In an otherwise dour encounter, the major talking point in this match came in the first half when young Jets midfielder Travis Cooper was found on the edge of the box before unleashing a stinging shot that smacked into the crossbar and down onto the line. The Jets players appealed in vein claiming the ball had crossed the line, but the referee waved away their appeals. Replays were inconclusive, however there appeared to be enough doubt to suggest the assistant had got the decision correct. Jets keeper Ben Kennedy produced a couple of handy saves in the second half to deny the Mariners and ensure a point for his team.

3-4 Sydney FC
(La Rocca 33, Bulut 42’ 53’ / Covic (OG) 10’, Janko 18’ 24, Antonis 74’)
Crowd: 19,484 @ Pirtek Stadium

Marc Janko continued his red hot form as Sydney stormed to a 3-0 lead inside 25 minutes and looked set for a thumping win over their fierce rivals. But less than 10 minutes later, Western Sydney pulled one back from a set piece to give them a glimmer of hope. The glimmer was positively radiating when new signing Kerem Bulut tapped home just before half time to make it 2-3 and Pirtek Stadium erupted when Bulut marked his debut with a second goal early in the second half to draw his team level. There would be no fairytale comeback, however, as Socceroo Terry Antonis buried a chance with 15 minutes remaining to seal another memorable Sydney Derby for the Sky Blues.

2-2 Brisbane Roar
(De Silva 26’, Djulbic 84’ / Solorzano 59’, McKay 62’)
Crowd: 10,422 @ nib Stadium

Perth’s winless run extended to six matches after they were held at home by a resurgent Brisbane Roar outfit that are now undefeated in their last four as they chase the sixth and final finals spot. It was the table-toppers who opened the lead when young gun Danny De Silva opened the scoring midway through the first half. Two quick goals to Brisbane from Costa Rican Jean Carlos Solorzano and captain Matt McKay on the hour mark had them on course for a fourth win in a row before Dino Djulbic pounced on the loose ball after Dragan Paljic’s cross had bounced off the crossbar to smash home the equaliser.

Melbourne Victory 2-3 Wellington Phoenix
(Galloway 34’, Barbarouses 53’ / Bonevacia 42’, Boxhall 68’, Burns 77’)
Crowd: 22,096 @ AAMI Park

Wellington Phoenix broke their duck in Melbourne against Victory in spectacular fashion, coming from behind twice to ruin the party on the occasion for Archie Thompson’s 200th game. The Victory were dominant in the first half and were handed a great chance to take the lead when they were awarded a spot kick after 15 minutes, but the normally reliable Besart Berisha smashed the ball into the post. It was defender Scott Galloway who gave them the lead after 34 minutes, before a stunning free kick from Roly Bonevacia drew Wellington level at half time. Kiwi Kosta Barbarouses gave Victory the lead again early in the second half before Wellington struck two more to give them an historic win and much needed three points.