2014-15 Hyundai A-League – Round 20 Recap

Share on Facebook0Tweet about this on TwitterShare on Google+0Share on Reddit0
A-League Rd 20 - Melbourne v Perth

With the top four all playing each other there was a chance for teams to jump up the table and the chance for others to cement their spot. After the weekend’s results the table took on a very different look.

Newcastle Jets 0-1 Sydney FC
(Janko 68’)
Crowd: 8,783 @ Hunter Stadium

Marquee man Marc Janko continued his personal purple patch, scoring for the sixth consecutive match to give Sydney FC a narrow 1-0 win over Newcastle. Sebastian Ryall came close to opening the scoring in the first half, but he saw his header smash back off the crossbar with Janko just putting his follow up effort wide. A piece of individual skill from young Travis Cooper wowed the crowd, but couldn’t break the deadlock. Korean Lee Ki-je’s underhit back pass allowed Janko to go one-on-one with Ben Kennedy and the on-fire marksman made no mistake to give his side a 1-0 lead and ultimately the three points.

Wellington Phoenix 2-0 Adelaide United
(Griffiths 79’, Burns 82’)
Crowd: 7,819 @ Hutt Recreation Ground

Wellington’s last match at their temporary home ground was played in difficult conditions, with showers and a strong breeze making life difficult for the players at times. Wellington struck first when Louis Fenton got the better of the Adelaide defence and drove towards the byline, crossing the ball in with the outside of his foot which Joel Griffiths bundled home at the near post. Socceroos Nathan Burns doubled the lead soon after when he got on the end of Roly Bonevacia’s cross the head home his 12th of the season, ensuring the three points for Wellington which temporarily sent them top of the table.

Melbourne Victory 1-1 Perth Glory
(Georgievski 64’ / Keogh 43’)
Crowd: 22,525 @ AAMI Park

Perth Glory secured their fourth straight draw after a controversial 1-1 finish at AAMI Park. Melbourne Victory started the brightest and both Fahid Ben Khalfallah and Besart Berisha came close to scoring, but it was Andy Keogh who broke the deadlock just before half time. However despite his calm finish, replays showed he was offside, but to the disgust of Melbourne players and fans. Parity was restored when Daniel Georgievski curled on just after the hour mark, but despite numerous chances Victory couldn’t find a way past Danny Vukovic.

Central Coast Mariners 1-0 Melbourne City
(Ferreira 74’)
Crowd: 6070 @ Central Coast Stadium

After a tumultuous week in which they sacked their coach, there was something to smile about in Gosford after the home side secured their first win in four matches against Melbourne City. After a half of few highlights, both teams headed for the sheds still locked at 0-0. New signing Fabio Ferreira scored his third goal in as many games with a thunderbolt from the edge of the box to give the home side the lead. Just as it looked like they had done enough, Liam Reddy was called upon to make a spectacular save to deny Ian Ramsay in the last minute of extra time to send a scare through the hearts of the fans and coaching staff.

Brisbane Roar 1-0 Western Sydney Wanderers
(Borrello 53’)
Crowd: 12,095 @ Suncorp Stadium

Fresh from his winning goal against Urawa Reds in the AFC Champions League during the week, Brandon Borrello was once again the difference as his second half goal secured a vital win for Brisbane who continue to chase the final spot in the top six. The youngster tricked his way into the box, creating space to finish past Dean Bouzanis with his left foot. The Socceroos Asian Cup hero Tomi Juric was almost the hero for his side deep into injury time, but his shot cannoned off the crossbar and down onto the line before being cleared by the Brisbane defence.