2014-15 Hyundai A-League – Round 22 Recap

Share on Facebook0Tweet about this on TwitterShare on Google+0Share on Reddit0
A-League Rd 22 - Brisbane v Wellington

A controversial end to proceedings in Brisbane saw Wellington sneak four points clear at the top of the table, while things just keep getting worse for Western Sydney.

Sydney FC 0-1 Melbourne City
(Brown 81’)
Crowd: 11,638 @ Allianz Stadium

Sydney FC were hold goalless for the first time since the start of January as Melbourne City pulled off an upset 1-0 victory. Austrian Marc Janko almost continued his purple patch, but saw his shot hit the woodwork in the tenth minute, as did his opposite number Robbie Koren late in the first half.

While Sydney had the best chances of the match, quick thinking from the throw-in with ten minutes left presented James Brown with a one-on-one opportunity, rounding Vedran Janjetovic to tap the ball home into an empty net and give Melbourne City an important three points.

Western Sydney Wanderers 1-2 Newcastle Jets
(Kalmar 51’ / Alivodic 22’ Lee 45’)
Crowd: 10,109 @ Pirtek Stadium

Two first half strikes were enough to secure an invaluable three points for Newcastle Jets, but the match will be remembered for one thing – arguably the worst offside call in history.

After Serbian Enver Alivodic had given the Jets the lead they thought they had doubled the lead when Andrew Hoole cut the ball back, which Sam Gallaway failed to clear, giving Edson Montano a simple tap in, yet the assistant had inexplicably flagged for offside despite replays showing Montano was at least five metres onside when the ball was played.

A quality strike from Lee Ki-je right on half time gave the Jets their 2-0 lead and although Nick Kalmar pulled one back with a brilliant free kick, it wasn’t enough as Western Sydney plummeted to the bottom of the A-League table.

Adelaide United 2-2 Melbourne Victory
(Sanchez 43’, McGowan 74’ / Ben Khalfallah 9’, Thompson 77’)
Crowd: 16,077

Adelaide United and Melbourne Victory turned in another classic as both sides had to settle for a point after a simply pulsating affair on a perfect evening in Adelaide.

Fahid Ben Khalfallah continued his run of form, giving Victory the lead inside ten minutes with a shot from the edge of the box. Adelaide equalised on the stroke of half time when Pablo Sanchez got the better of Daniel Georgievski at the back post to head home.

Adelaide took the lead with just over 15 minutes remaining when Dylan McGowan’s header took a deflection off Leigh Broxham, leaving Nathan Coe with no chance after pulling off a sensational save just seconds earlier to deny the home side. But Adelaide’s arch nemesis Archie Thompson restored parity three minutes later after being played in expertly by Gui Finkler, rounding Eugene Galekovic to level it up at 2-2.

Central Coast Mariners 1-1 Perth Glory
(Montgomery 90’+2 / MacLaren 79’)
Crowd: 5338 @ Central Coast Stadium

A late strike from Nick Montgomery rescued a point for Central Coast and prevented Perth Glory from going back to the top of the table, extending their winless run to nine games.

Nebojsa Marinkovic almost gave the visitors an early lead but his shot cannoned back off the crossbar, with Andy Keogh unable to keep his follow up effort down. Nick Fitzgerald had a host of chances to give the Mariners the lead but squandered all of them and he was left to rue those chance when substitute Jamie MacLaren rose highest with just over ten minutes to go to head home Marinkovic’s corner.

Just as it looked like Perth would end their duck, up stepped Montgomery to fire home a rocket from 25 yards to earn a point for his side.

(Kaluderovic 5’ / McGlinchey 20’, Burns 45’)
Crowd: 10,075 @ Suncorp Stadium

Wellington Phoenix controversially secured all three points after the match had to be abandoned after 73 minutes due to inclement weather.

The match started in fine conditions and in fine style for the home side, taking the lead after just five minutes. A piece of individual brilliance from Nathan Burns, to wriggle his way out of trouble in the corner an slalom his way into the box set up the equaliser for Wellington before the A-League’s hottest player gave Wellington the lead right on half time.

Roy Krisna’s shot thumped off the woodwork, falling perfectly for Burns to tap home. As the heavens opened in the second half McGlinchey should have grabbed a second but missed from point blank.

As the conditions worsened and the pitch became all but unplayable, referee Alan Miliner made the decision to call the game off with 17 minutes remaining, gifting the three points to the table-topping Phoenix and infuriating the Brisbane Roar players and officials.