The Indonesia Super League (ISL) will be postponed again after just one round, organisers have confirmed.
The decision emerged after competition organisers PT Liga Indonesia held a meeting with 18 ISL clubs at the Park Lane Hotel in Jakarta on Thursday afternoon.
“All scheduled matches for April 12 through 25 will be cancelled and [new] fixtures will be announced after the federation congress on April 18,” competition officer Darwis Satmoko told reporters.
The start of the campaign had already been postponed once after participating clubs failed to complete required documentation requested by the government-sanctioned Indonesian Board of Professional Athletes (BOPI).
But although two clubs, Arema Cronus and Persebaya Surabaya, have still failed to meet the requirement, the Indonesian Football Federation (PSSI) and PT Liga elected to ignore the BOPI’s recommendation and kick off the season as scheduled.
As the result, Indonesian Minister for Youth and Sports Imam Nahrawi threatened to impose sanctions on the two clubs.
“If the competition can’t go on, we will hand over this problem to the PSSI,” PT Liga CEO Joko Driyono said. “So far, we will stick in our plan and will not make any major changes.”
Global governing body FIFA has previously backed the league in its decision to ignore BOPI’s requests, insisting that associations must be able to operate without government interference.