Malaysia U-23 star Nazmi handed six-match ban for spitting incident

Share on Facebook0Tweet about this on TwitterShare on Google+0Share on Reddit0
720p-Nazmi Faiz Malaysia banned

U-23 midfielder has been slapped with a hefty six-match ban following his controversial spitting incident during opening game against Timor Leste U-23.

The suspension, which was taken by the AFC Disciplinary Committee, will see the 20-year-old youngster miss the three remaining preliminary round matches as well as the semifinals should they qualified.

Nazmi was sent off after he spat towards Timor Leste defender Filipe Olivera after the latter had made a rash challenge on him in the first half, in the game which ended in a 1-0 victory for Harimau Muda last Sunday.

Previously, the Malaysia’s SEA Games chef-de-mission (CDM) Datuk Seri Mohamad Norza Zakaria has urged the team tactician Ong Kim Swee to send Nazmi back from the tournament in order to handle the issue.

“I think he should be sent back. I have said this to coach Ong Kim Swee to take the necessary steps, if he needs to be sent back, he has to do that,” he said was quoted by Astro Awani.

“I want the athletes, especially the young ones, to keep their composure and handle emotions to avoid embarrassing the team and country.”

Malaysia take on defending champions Thailand in the next fixture of group stage on Thursday, after suffering a heavy 5-1 defeat in their second match against Vietnam on Tuesday.