Sydney FC rule out signing Pirlo despite agent claims the move

Share on Facebook0Tweet about this on TwitterShare on Google+0Share on Reddit0
BERLIN, GERMANY - JUNE 06:  Juventus Andrea Pirlo claps the fans during the UEFA Champions League Final between Barcelona and Juventus at Olympiastadion on June 6, 2015 in Berlin, Germany. (Photo by Ian MacNicol/Getty Images)

Hyundai outfit FC ruled out making a move for Italian legend from Juventus.

The 36-year-old was rumoured to be interested in a switch to , being heavily linked with a possible off-season exit despite still has a year to run on his deal with Serie A champions.

Previously, an Australian-based agent Lou Sticca has told Italian media that he will be attempting to convince Pirlo to head down under with the Sky Blues to become their next marquee player.

“My project in Italy is clear: if Andrea decides to leave Italy for other markets and leagues only then will I move in this case,” he told TuttoMercatoWeb.

“I’m here to plant the seed to get him to go to Australia. I have some interested clubs who have given the mandates, but I clearly don’t want to name them.”

But, after there were strong links drawn between Sydney and Pirlo as a marquee signing, the New South Wales-based club head coach Graham Arnold has now dismissed a possible move.

“My preference when it comes to international marquees is to sign an attacking player not a midfielder,” the 51-year-old tactician told SBS.

“I have not had any contact from an agent [regarding Pirlo] and have not heard anything about him coming to Australia.”

Sydney currently are in the hunt for another marquee player following the departure of Austrian striker Marc Janko.

comments