The Football Association of Malaysia (FAM) has banned Terengganu FA striker Paulo Rangel for six months following a clash with the match officials by the player.
Rangel was last month charged with violent conduct by the FAM after he was accused of kicking the ball at the second assistant referee and pushed the referee during the FA Cup second semifinal match against LionsXII at Sultan Mizan Zainal Abidin Stadium on May 16.
“The committee has decided to adopt Article 35 of the Code, in which the player will be suspended for three months first (from June 20 to Sep 19) and the postponement of the suspension for the remaining three months (from Sep 20 to Dec 19) will subject to good behaviour of the player,” read yesterday’s FAM statement.
On the other side, the 30-year-old Brazilian forward expressed his sadness at the decision, regretting for what has he done on the pitch.
“Very saddened by the news of the suspension, the first time in my career, I apologise to all my teammates and to all my fans for what happened,” he said.
The FAM also handed Johor Darul Takzim II (JDT II) a USD 1,337 fine and docked a walkover loss for fielding an ineligible player during the match against LionsXII in the FA Cup second semifinal match at Pasir Gudang Stadium on April 22.
“JDT II were found to have violated Article 57 of the Code concerning ineligibility and considered to have lost 3-0 to Lions XII in the match,” the statement said.
It is unclear if Rangel will file for an appeal to reduce his punishment, while FAM stated that the JDT II case is non-appealable.