Paris terror won’t stop Socceroos trip to Bangladesh

Share on Facebook0Tweet about this on TwitterShare on Google+0Share on Reddit0
Australia v UAE: Semi Final - 2015 Asian Cup - Newcastle

Football Federation (FFA) has confirmed that its national team trip to for and 2019 Asian Cup joint qualifiers is not under scrutiny despite the terror attacks in Paris, France earlier today.

The European nation have declared a national state of emergency and tightened borders after at least 120 people were killed in a night of gun and bomb attacks in Paris, including three people who were killed at the football match between France and Germany at the Stade de France.

“The security in place is to a level where we’re comfortable the boys will be safe over there,” said FFA in a statement was quoted by Australian site SBS. “We wouldn’t have gone ahead with the trip if that wasn’t the case.”

Previously, the Tuesday’s fixture in Dhaka has been under a heavy security cloud following recent terrorist attacks, more particularly after the killing of two foreign nationals for which Islamic State claimed responsibility.

But FFA already gave green light for Bangladesh game on Thursday after they are convinced that the safety can be guaranteed.

“We would like to thank the Australian Government, DFAT, FIFA, AFC, the Bangladesh Football Federation and numerous Bangladesh government and securities bodies for working with our security experts to put in place a plan to allow this match to go ahead as planned,” said FFA CEO David Gallop.

“Right from the outset our number one priority has been the safety of our staff and players. Over the last month we have undertaken an extensive intelligence and risk management operation, driven by our world class security advisors and the relevant Government and security agencies, and we are happy with the plans put in place.”